If you’re thinking about buying your first SLR and looking for sports or adventure, then you should be interested in the Pentax brand. The Pentax K-S2 is a great camera for beginners looking for a lightweight, well-sealed model that will give you high-quality photos.
We analyze this camera, compact and resistant to harsh weather, which will surprise you with many useful features. The Pentax K-S2 is ideal for nature lovers and action lovers. Now you will see why. Would you like to get to know it better?
Highlights of the Pentax K-S2
1. CMOS Sensor APS-C 20.12 Mpx
The Pentax K-S2 has an APS-C sensor, in this case a CMOS of 20.12 Mpx, with an ISO range between 100 and 51,200. Undoubtedly, ISO sensitivity is one of its greatest strengths, as Ricoh says it can deliver maximum performance in low light conditions.
All this is achieved thanks to the powerful PRIME MII processor. This is responsible for minimizing the noise level even when using the highest ISO parameters.
2. Autofocus SAFOX X
The autofocus system of this camera is a SAFOX X AF sensor. This allows focusing with high precision and speed even if you follow a moving subject. The low luminance AF limit is extended to -3 EV. In addition, it incorporates an Image Stabilizer (SR) that minimizes the distortion of the camera, reducing vibration by up to 3.5 steps.
The Pentax K-S2 has 11 AF focus points (9 of which cross over) and extends the extended range AF technology and contrast measurement with 77 multi-segment. The latter means that the exposure is measured depending on the situation and the distance with respect to the object or object being captured (regardless of the contrast or distance of the main light source).
3. Body Sealed up to 100 Points
The construction of the Pentax K-S2 is designed for all adverse situations. It is a dustproof camera, rain, moisture, sand, splash or any kind of dirt.
The body of the K-S2 is sealed in 100 points, which protects it from the weather, which makes it suitable for adventurers. In addition, the screen is also very well protected. However, be sure to purchase lenses whose structure is also as dense as possible (for example, the Pentax 18-50 mm f / 4-5.6 DC WR RE).
4. Other Outstanding Features
- It has a removable 3 ” LCD screen . It is also collapsible and adjustable and has a resolution of 921,000 points. In addition, it is coated with a layer of antireflection protective resin.
- It has the function of Custom Image Mode (11 options) and includes 19 different scene modes and up to 20 filters applicable to your photographs.
- It has Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity to transfer your photos or videos and share them on social networks. In addition, with the Image Sync app you can control the settings from your smartphone.
- Includes an optical viewfinder with 100% coverage , up to 0.95x magnification and diopter corrector.
- Records in Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 30 fps and shoots high-speed bursts up to 5.5 fps.
Advantages of the Pentax K-S2
- Very Compact (122.5 x 91 x 72.5 mm)
- Additional shooting button for selfies
- Weather resistant, well sealed
- Vibration reduction up to 3.5 steps
- Possibility of recording Time-Lapses in 4K
- Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity
Disadvantages the Pentax K-S2
Disadvantages the Pentax K-S2
- Small handle and little ergonomic
- It is small but the weight is 618 gr (only the body)
- The screen is not touch
- It is expensive with respect to its competitors
Where to buy the Pentax K-S2
You will find several options available when purchasing your Pentax K-S2. Everything will depend on the color of the body and if it includes one or several objectives:
Accessories for the Pentax K-S2
Main Competitors of the Pentax K-S2
- Competitors of similar range: Pentax K-70 , Nikon D3400 and Nikon D5600.
- Top-end competitors: Sony Alpha DSLR-A850, Nikon D700 and Pentax K-1.
- Competitors of type Evil or Without Mirror: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4, Olympus OM-D E-M5 II, Sony Alpha 6000 and Fujifilm X-T10.
Photos made with the Pentax K-S2
Do you want to see what the Pentax K-S2 is capable of doing? Look at these photographs taken with this camera:
You may also like