Pentax K-70 is Pentax‘s mid-range DSLR. The K-70 is a SLR camera that we must not forget, although not the “leading brands”, because it offers us some excellent features, to the level and even some of its most famous competitors.
Despite being a mid-range reflex camera, the Pentax K-70 has features only within the reach of high ranges , such as a fully sealed body, a sensor without a low pass filter, a full coverage pentaprism viewer, a novel system of hybrid auto-focus and an internal stabilization system.
Below we analyze these and many other features of the Pentax K-70
Highlights of the Pentax K-70
1. 24 MP sensor
Pentax K-70 has a 24.24 MP CMOS APS-C sensor, larger than most cameras in its range. This allows you to take pictures with a resolution of up to 6000 x 4000 px.
This large sensor dimension also allows great sensitivity, even in low light conditions. Pentax K-70 can reach 102 400 ISO.
In addition, the Pentax K-70 sensor delivers the low-pass filter, which gives it greater clarity than other competitors.
2. Innovative stabilization system “Shake Reduction”
One of the most outstanding features of the Pentax K-70 is the novel stabilization system, which minimizes camera movement to create images without any doubt. This also works in conditions that are vulnerable to shaking, eg. At slow shutter speeds or when using a telephoto lens.
The K-70’s housing features a high-precision gyroscopic sensor and a vibration-reduction mechanism that reduces the effects of camera movement and provides a compensation effect of up to 4.5 levels of shutter release.
4. Hybrid Auto Focus System
The new Hybrid Autofocus System (AF), which incorporates autofocus technology with phase detection and contrast detection, provides fast and accurate autofocus and continuous autofocus for video recording.
5. Pixel Shift Resolution System
The Pentax K-70 incorporates the latest high-definition technology called the Pixel Shift Resolution System, which captures four images of the same scene, moving the sensor slightly and then assembling it into a single composite image.
This innovative system captures all the color data in each pixel to deliver high-resolution images with true-to-life color and finer details than a traditional APS-C sensor.
In addition, this system includes a motion correction feature that automatically detects objects or moving subjects during continuous shooting to minimize negative effects during the synthesis process, thus avoiding aberrations or ghosting.
6. Other Outstanding Features
- Hinged and articulated 3 “screen with a resolution of 921,000 points.
- Bursts of 6 fps
- Shutter speed up to 1/6000 sec.
- Video recording in Full HD at 30 fps
- 4K time-lapse mode
- Double parameter control dial
- Sealed body
- Focus motor integrated in the body
- WiFi connectivity
- Pentaprism viewer, which offers 100% coverage of the scene
You can check the rest of the technical specifications of the Pentax K-70 on the official website of Ricoh .
Advantages of the Pentax K-70
- 24.42 MP sensor, superior to that of most of its competitors
- ISO sensitivity up to 102 400, higher than that of most of its competitors
- Double dial control parameters, which make it much more comfortable when working in manual mode
- Viewer with full coverage of the scene, when most of its competitors reach only 95%.
- Integrated stabilization system
- Hybrid auto-focus system
- High resolution system Pixel Shift Resolution System
- Focus motor integrated in the body
- Sealed body, resistant to inclement weather and dust
- Bursts of 6 fps, more than most of its competitors
- WiFi connectivity
Disadvantages the Pentax K-70
- It does not have recording in 4K and its recording in FullHD only reaches 30 fps
- The screen is not touch
- It has only 11 focus points, less than its competitors
- Weight of almost 700 gr (the body), more than its competitors
- Battery not as durable as that of its competitors (410 shots)
- A single memory card slot
- Not being such a popular brand, the offer of objectives is lower, as well as second-hand opportunities
Price / Where to buy the Pentax K-70
You can find the Pentax K-70 from Amazon
Accessories for the Pentax K-70
- Pentax 50 mm f / 1.8
- Pentax 35 mm f / 2.4
- Pentax 50-200 mm f / 4-5.6
- Sigma 17-70 mm f / 2,8-4
- Tamron 70-300 mm f / 4-5.6
- Sigma 10-20 mm f / 3.5
Some accessories can also be used to complete your photographic equipment:
Main Competitors of the Pentax K-70
- Same Range: Nikon D5600 , Canon Rebel T6i, Canon EOS 760D
- Top range: Nikon D7200 , Canon EOS 77D, Canon EOS 800D, Pentax K-5
- Bottom range: Nikon D3400 , Canon EOS 200D , Pentax K-50
- No Mirror / Mirrorless / Evil: Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II , Sony Alpha ILCE-7, Sony A6000, Panasonic Lumix G80
|Camera Type:||Digital SLR|
|Effective Pixels:||24.24 MP|
|Total Pixels:||24.78 MP|
|Sensor Size:||23.5 x 15.6mm (APS-C)|
|Image Sizes:||JPEG: (24M) 6000×4000, (14M) 4608×3072, (6M) 3072×2048, (2M) 1920×1280|
RAW: (24M) 6000×4000
|Image Formats:||DNG, JPEG, RAW|
|Movie:||File Format: MPEG4 AVC/H.264 (MOV)|
Recorded Pixels: Full HD (1920 x 1080, 60i/50i/30p/25p/24p) HD (1280 x 720, 60p/50p)
|Lens Mount:||Pentax K|
|Image Stabilization:||Sensor-shift Shake Reduction system|
|Autofocus:||Type: TTL: Phase-matching autofocus|
Focus Sensor: SAFOX X, 11 points (9 cross type focus points in the center)
|Focus Modes:||Single AF (AF, S) Continuous AF (AF, C), Auto select AF (AF, A)|
|ISO Sensitivity:||ISO AUTO/100 to 204800 (EV steps can be set to 1EV, 1/2EV, or 1/3EV) TBD|
|Shutter:||Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter (electronic when using Pixel Shift Resolution)|
|Shutter Speeds:||Auto: 1/6000 to 30 sec., Manual: 1/6000 to 30 sec (1/3 EV steps or 1/2 EV steps), Bulb (10 sec to 20 min)|
|Continuous/Burst Shooting:||up to 6 fps|
|Self-Timer:||12 seconds, 2 seconds|
|Exposure Metering System:||Center-weighted average metering, Spot metering|
|Exposure Modes:||Aperture Priority, Auto, Bulb, Manual, Program, Scene Modes, Sensitivity Priority, Shutter Priority, Shutter/Aperture Priority|
|Exposure Compensation:||-5 EV to +5 EV (in 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps)|
|White Balance:||Auto, CTE, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Custom, Daylight, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Day White), Fluorescent (Daylight), Fluorescent (Warm White), Manual, Multi Auto WB, Shade, Tungsten|
|Flash Sync Terminal:||Hot Shoe|
|Flash Compensation:||-2 EV to +1 EV|
|Monitor Type:||Vari-angle TFT color LCD monitor featuring an air-gapless structure, tempered-glass front panel|
|Playback:||Single frame, Multi-image display (6,12, 20, 35, 80 segmentation), Display magnification (up to 16x, Quick Zoom view available), Grid display (4×4 Grid, Golden Section, Scale display, Square 1, Square 2, Grid Color: Black/White ), Rotating, Histogram (Y histogram, RGB histogram), Bright area warning, Auto Image Rotation, Detailed information, Copyright Information (Photographer, Copyright holder), GPS information (latitude, longitude, altitude, Coordinated Universal Time) , Orientation, Folder Display, Calendar Filmstrip Display, Slide Show|
|Storage:||SD / SDHC / SDXC memory cards|
|Power Source:||D-LI109 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack, 7.4 VDC, 1050 mAh|
HDMI D (Micro)
|Dimensions (WxHxD):||4.9 x 3.7 x 2.9 in. (125.5 x 93 x 74mm)|
|Weight:||1.5 lbs. (688g) (with battery and memory card)|
You may also like