Olympus OM-D E-M1X, information and contact of the new Micro Four Thirds extreme camera for nature and sports
Today the new Olympus camera, the OM-D E-M1X, is introduced. A Micro Four Thirds camera that meets the needs of professional photographers looking for a rugged case, reliability, and the highest quality possible. It’s the most advanced team Olympus has ever made and the expected hit on the table to compete with the heavyweights of Canon, Nikon and Sony.
Finally, we can really speak of the new professional camera from Olympus. Since the beginning of the year we have heard hundreds of rumors and the brand itself has launched a teaser where you have guessed your powerful body. Because this is one of the things that attracted the most attention during the presentation in Madrid, the EFTI Photo School.
Unfortunately we could not test it thoroughly. The secrecy was extreme and we could not leave the meeting room with her. All the tests we could do were in there. I could only guess what I could do if I concentrated on a TV screen with different pictures to get an idea.
And in spite of everything, we left an excellent impression that needs to be confirmed only in a future test that we hope will soon confirm our impressions.
A professional camera with the best technology of the moment
After more than 100 molds for the design of the body, after consulting the photographers, the engineer working for the medical teams of the brand, they have achieved a perfect ergonomics, away from the bodies and small buttons that we used to the brand until now.
It is a camera for the photographer of sports and nature that will always carry large telephoto lenses and zooms and needs to be sure to hold a body that does not disappear between hands.
In spite of everything, we are facing a weight of 849 gr with the vertical grip integrated and totally sealed. Withstands rain, withstands the dust of desert racing and even endures extreme temperatures. It is ready to fight face to face with the EOS 1, the D5 or the A9 .
Main features of the Olympus OM-D E-M1X
The look of this model does not mean the end of the OM-D E-M1 Mark II. Both will co-exist in the brand’s professional catalog. They even share the sensor. The oldest stands for portability and the new model is the extreme model (hence the X of its name). Everything has changed to give the professional photographer more security.
Later we will see it. Both cameras are very similar but the E-M1X exceeds and refines all the characteristics of its little sister . It is a vitaminized version. And of course it’s not just an E-M1 MarkII with a vertical grip. Is much more.
|SENSOR||4/3 “Live MOS of 20.4 Mpx with a supersonic wave filter.|
|PROCESSOR||Double TruePicVIII image processor|
|FOCUS||AF system with several options and settings to set the AF area and intelligent tracking of the subject.|
|IMAGE STABILIZATION||7.5 EV steps (with stabilized objectives)|
|DRUMS||Two batteries BLH-1 Lithium-ion battery|
|VIDEO||4K and C4K, OM-Log400|
|STORAGE||Two slots for SD UHS-II cards|
|CONTINUOUS CAPTURE||60 fps S-AF 18 fps C-Af Up to 287 RAW|
|SIZE AND WEIGHT||W 144.4 mm x H 146.8 mm x L. 75.4 mm Weight: approx. 849 g|
On paper, it looks like it will do the same thing as its predecessor, but anyone who knows the features of the E-M1 Mark II will find important enhancements, such as stronger body stabilization or twice the slot for the latest generation SD cards … and even more.
Olympus OM-D E-M1X, the perfect camera for professionals
This camera is aimed at the professional world and advanced amateurs. Its larger body is perfectly captured and offers a range of solutions that can be very useful if you are in the middle of the mountains or nearing a first-division match. And all in a body that is lighter and less bulky than the tanks of other brands.
We have already indicated that it is an OM-D E-M1 Mark II that is improved and vitaminized. An advantage of this size is that it allows considerable heat dissipation to avoid overheating problems. I find it very interesting to identify the differences with this model presented two years ago in order to understand the scope of the new proposal:
- The sensor is still the Micro Four Thirds of 20.4 MP. It’s the same as its predecessor, but reacts differently, something we’ll have to check soon. Now all information reaches two processors, compared to the only one that owns the E-M1 Mark II.
- The cleaning system is the best we can find in the market.
- As already mentioned, the body has a built-in vertical handle that allows you to carry two batteries at a time to reach 2580 photos. It also includes the ability to connect directly to a power bank to power the camera. In this way you can theoretically achieve 15,000 shots per charge.
- The shutter has a new life of up to 400,000 shots , compared to 200,000 for the E-M1 Mark II. It thus reaches the most professional models of the other brands.
- The autofocus has been made even more precise and sensitive thanks to the dual processor. It still has the 121 areas that cover 80% of the frame. It even has the function of recognizing motives with three possibilities: motor, persons with helmets and trains.
- The stabilization reaches 7.5 levels with stabilized targets. With another lens type, it stays at 6.5, which improves everything that we have seen so far with a camera. And all thanks to a new circular movement and the small size of the sensor.
- The new OM-D E-M1X enables high-resolution recordings of 80 MP. Now you can use the same tripod without freehand shots to achieve a resolution of 50 MP. Make multiple photos at once and combine them to create the larger file as if it had such a sensor. Of course, the processing can reach 8 seconds.
- Another novelty is the Live ND function that allows simulating the use of ND filters to generate the succor silk effects of water, for example. There are five levels, up to a ND32 of five steps.
- The electronic viewfinder is the same, of proven quality, but now reaches a magnification of 0.83x .
- It incorporates ideal field sensors to achieve accurate metadata information to record all types of GPS data.
- It is possible to make remote shots using WiFi without problems.
- The video has also improved. Finally he has his own Log , he records in Cinema 4K with different degrees of stabilization and autofocus control and records at 120 fps in FullHD.
Price and availability
The Olympus OM-D E-M1X is presented worldwide today. It will not be exactly cheap. Many doomsayers will say that for the 2.999 euros it costs you can buy three full-format cameras. Another thing is that we all need that big format. It depends on the needs of the photographer.
We can buy it in stores from the 25th of February. Right now, it seems they are not removing a kit with any lens. It’s too early to confirm. What we envisage is that the OM-D E-M1 Mark II will continue to adjust its price and photographers will have to choose between two cameras if we want the best of Olympus.
One will be more universal and the other will be reserved for those who know how to use all their virtues in specific areas. We seldom have something similar in our hands.
Olympus OM-D E-M1X, first impressions
There is no doubt that this is the best Olympus camera. Its intention is to finally conquer all professionals in the world of sport and nature. Such a small team is rarely seen in the stadiums. But it is clear that they want to achieve it.
The body size with the integrated handle offers the same safety as other professional devices, but with a lower weight. And if we remember that this Micro Four Thirds system is the only one designed from the ground up for the digital environment, we’ll find that this concept allows for many things, such as lighter telephoto lenses with optimal image quality.
All other features are impressive on the paper. The tests we were able to conduct in the brief discussion are anecdotes until we can get them on the road. But maybe we are facing one of the machines with more options on the market. And what’s an advantage can actually be a pull.
It is impossible to remember so many features available. It requires extreme learning. Long time to master the camera perfectly. It is a matter of returning to learning to bend your elbows until all of their features are unmasked. More than a camera, we should talk about a computer that takes pictures. Some will see it perfectly, but others will be overwhelming.
And that’s a pity, because we are in front of a camera whose functions are copied by the other manufacturers. We will talk about her remembering that she was the first to do one or the other. Now we just have to try to see how far the image quality of a sensor that is struggling with a whole array of formats that does not seem to be afraid can reach. And they should …More information | Olympus