This weekend we enjoyed the first red moon of the year. Apparently it was an authentic astronomical spectacle. It has been talked about in all media by Superluna, unique possibilities, spectacle without equals … And we can find thousands of tutorials to photograph it … It’s just one example of the many fashions that circulate through the networks photographers today , Do we really have to follow the photographic fashions?
Nothing else is said, and today most daring photographers who have forgotten the cold publish a thousand photographs of an incredible phenomenon. It is very good to cleanse the spirit and avoid burns, but we risk to score a little more passenger than a job one can have in life. We have reached a point where it is most appreciated to have a good photograph of the fields of Brihuega, a miracle for which they are asked to make the famous photograph of the tree crowning the end of the fields.
It is true that many photographers have this as a hobby. And it’s the most beautiful thing in the world. Do something without obligations. But the little time we usually have to take on the road can not be claimed by something most people will do just because it’s fashionable. And what happens is that all the time spent on something transient is lost time.
The photographic fashions
Certainly, since you read the title, you have come to the thousands of photographic fashions I refer to. It’s a very old thing, but it has been sharpened since the advent of the digital age. It is always good to adapt to the current times, but you have to know how to differentiate. At the moment I remember the following:
- Star filters filter the rays of any light source. It could all start with the television broadcasts of the music programs of the 70s.
- Flou effect in all the photos that we make thanks to special filters, spray on the lens or apply some Vaseline on a UV filter. In the 1980s, with the collection of the Great Photographers, many fell in love with the aesthetics of David Hamilton.
- Take pictures with the Polaroid SX70 and make the copy with heat and a small punch. It was an almost obligatory subject in photography schools in the 1990s, as was the coloring of photographs using Chinese inks.
- Already in the early days of the digital age you reject everything that you had with black and white, because it was the past.
- HDR photography does not seem to be a fad that comes and goes. It has been archived over time, but they are still seen by the impossible Halos networks and photographs that look like paintings that receive thousands of likes.
- The well-known “Mellado effect” when dealing with extreme and unequal contrasts in the skies of landscape photographs, without really understanding what we are doing (I admit that I’ve fallen).
- Go to Iceland to take pictures, even if you’ve never been to a national park on your land.
- Night photography with all kinds of light flashes and color gels, in addition to the metal wool, to create very powerful steles and flashlights that point to the Polaris or similar.
- The neutral density filters long-exposure photos or yes. At any time and at any time of the day.
- Go to the fields of Brihuega, where lavender is blooming.
- The pictures to the last and great supermoon of each of the many that happen every year.
As soon as they appear, they disappear from the face of the earth, like the mustache, the shoulder pads or the ponytail with the shaved hair or the thousands of challenges of the nets. Now it is true that we have our ankles up in the air or one that attracts my attention these days without resorting to the winter streets of the city. It is exactly the same in the world of photography.
And again I have to say that it is not bad because you practice and know new fields. But the cabinets are full of abandoned filters, wide-angle lenses full of dust, water chambers, and very strong lanterns that stop glowing … If you finally dare to try this new trend, it turns out that another more eye-catching sight starts off you discover that it’s not as easy as you thought, or that you just do not like it. That’s the bad of fashion, all transients.
The main objective of every photographer
We have no choice but to practice to one day achieve good results. And it’s definitely worth it. Through Daily Challenges, Daily Publishing on Instagram … But to reach the next level, you need to search for one or two topics that you want to photograph. And look for them in our personal style, far away from the postal aesthetics of fashion, which in many cases seeks only the same.
We can not improve as photographers with loose pictures without connection. When we dedicate each weekend that we have free, we dedicate it to the photography of the moment in which we lose precious time, what really counts. It’s something that good teachers at school and our parents have taught us. We can always dedicate ourselves to the fun. It is healthy. But you have to fight for what you want.
And if our dream is to improve as photographers, we have to sacrifice ourselves. It seems we have disappeared from the networks or that we are not following what the moment dictates. In return, we will see how our archive improves with timeless work. That we can not only teach in a certain time in a certain period.
Fashion serves to integrate and get carried away by the crowd. That’s fine, especially if you’re aware of it and do not fall into their networks. But they are transient. They just make us aware of the passage of time and remain a memorial of nostalgia. Good photography will be preserved over time. Today we can enjoy a photo of Avedon, Navia or other great photos on the first day. They are timeless. And we have to achieve that with our cameras. It’s difficult, but it’s most worth it when time goes by.