The Canon EOS M50 is Canon’s one of mirrorless cameras. Satisfying what has already been demanded for some time, Canon has decided to finally include the recording in 4K . Of course, with some limitations, such as the maximum fps, the clipping factor and the autofocus.
Even so, the 4K video is just an extra. Its incredible features make the Canon EOS M50 one of Canon’s most complete initiation cameras . Right away we tell you all the details.
Highlights of the Canon EOS M50
1. 24 MP APS-C sensor
The Canon EOS M50 has a 24 MP APS-C sensor that gives it great image quality, with a good dynamic range and excellent color fidelity. Your photographs can reach a resolution of 6000 x 4000 px .
Being larger than a 4/3 micro sensor, its sensitivity is higher, reaching an ISO of 25,600, expandable up to 51,200 . This means that the Canon EOS M50 has a good ability to capture images even if we are in low light conditions.
2. Auto Focus Pixel Dial
The autofocus of the M50 is also one of its most outstanding features. It has a dual pixel autofocus system with 143 points (reduced to 99 points in some lenses) that covers almost 80% of the sensor, helping to achieve a very precise and fast focus.
In addition, this autofocus system has face and eye detection , although the latter can only be used in the AF-S mode, not in the continuous mode (AF-S Eye detection mode).
On the other hand, the autofocus of the Canon EOS M50 has a sensitivity of -2 EV, which means that it is able to focus correctly even in low light conditions.
3. Recording from 4K Video to 24p
Thanks to the inclusion of the new DIGIC 8 processor, the Canon EOS M50 finally has 4K recording . Of course, only 24 fps and with 1.6x clipping. It also has recording in Full HD (1080p) at 60 fps and in HD (720p) at 120 fps.
Another bad news is that the dual pixel autofocus system is only available when recording in 1080p or lower resolutions. In 4K recordings we will have to settle for the auto-focus by contrast detection.
The Canon EOS M50 does not have an internal stabilizer, but it has a 5-axis digital stabilization system , ideal for stabilizing recordings with camera in hand.
Finally, to facilitate recording especially in more complicated angles, the Canon EOS M50 incorporates a 3 “LCD screen fully articulated and tactile .
4. Other Outstanding Features
- Burst of 7.4 fps (10 fps in AF-S)
- Shutter speed from 30 “to 1/4000 sec.
- New RAW CR3 format
- OLED electronic viewer with 100% coverage and 2.36M points
- WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC connectivity
- Integrated flash
- Battery up to 235 shots
- Very compact and lightweight camera (390 g.)
To consult the rest of the technical specifications of the Canon EOS M50, you can visit its official website .
Advantages of the Canon EOS M50
- 4K recording
- 24 MP APS-C sensor
- Dual pixel autofocus with 143/99 selectable focus points
- Fully articulated and tactile screen
- It has the new RAW CR3 format, with better compression.
- It is very compact and lightweight
- Better ergonomics than other basic mirrorless cameras
Disadvantages the Canon EOS M50
- Improved 4K recording: it has a 1.6x clipping, records only 24 fps and does not have dual pixel autofocus.
- 1 single control dial
- Price higher than the average price of the cameras in its range
- Limited battery
- Does not have the body sealed
Price / Where to buy the Canon EOS M50
You can buy Canon EOS M50 from Amazon ;
Top Competitors of the Canon EOS M50
- Same Range: Canon EOS M5, Sony a6300
- Superior Range: Canon EOS M6, Panasonic G85, Sony a6500, Fujifilm X-T20.
- Bottom range: Canon M100
You may also want to check below reviews: